turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

I had a passive loss in RE activities in 2019. This is my 1st year owning rental property. My return did not include a form 8582. How do I know I don't need that form?

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions
Anonymous
Not applicable

I had a passive loss in RE activities in 2019. This is my 1st year owning rental property. My return did not include a form 8582. How do I know I don't need that form?

the iRS instructions say no 8582 is required if the losses are less than $25,000 and

1) fully allowed (no limit due to AGI) and thus no carryforward 

2) no prior year carryforward 

View solution in original post

4 Replies
Carl
Level 15

Residential Rental Real Estate will practically always operate at a loss; especially if you have a mortgage on it.  For your first year at a minimum, it's no surprise and no big deal if 8582 isn't generated by the program. Depending on your specific and explicit situation, up to $25K of passive losses *could* be allowed against other ordinary income. It just depends on your situation. The program will "know" based on the data YOU enter.

So if I had less than $25k in losses in my first year, I wouldn't have to file an 8582 because I am not deferring any of those losses into future years?

Anonymous
Not applicable

the iRS instructions say no 8582 is required if the losses are less than $25,000 and

1) fully allowed (no limit due to AGI) and thus no carryforward 

2) no prior year carryforward 

Perfect.  Thank you!

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies