turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

I gave my home up in a bankruptcy. According to the bank it was foreclosed upon. Turbotax will not allow me to enter zero on the gain of the sale.

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Reply
DianeW
Expert Alumni

I gave my home up in a bankruptcy. According to the bank it was foreclosed upon. Turbotax will not allow me to enter zero on the gain of the sale.

Form 982 is on the eligible for e-file listCheck all the details below before you begin to see if it will help you to file the form.  It's only necessary if you are eligible for tax free treatment.

You can file Form 982 to report this cancellation of debt to the IRS. However, you may need to use the CD/Download software to file this form because the entries will need to be put in manually while in Forms modeForms mode is only available in the CD/Download version of Turbo Tax.  

• If you are reporting any type of debt cancellation other than qualified principal residence indebtedness, we generally recommend using the CD/Download version of TurboTax Deluxe or a higher edition

The Mortgage Relief Act is available for your main home, only your principal residence.  

• Click here for information on how to avoid tax on cancelled mortgage debt.
  • Click here for information on short sales and foreclosures.

You may be eligible to use the Form 982 if you filed bankruptcy and this debt was included in that bankruptcy or you were/are insolvent.

• For tax purposes, you only want to think about the IRS' definition of insolvency. And here it is: For purposes of relief under the cancellation of debt income rules, you are insolvent if the total of all of your liabilities was more than the fair market value of all of your assets immediately before the cancellation.

We advise a tax professional or review IRS publications noted in the attachment (4681 or 544). What is Form 982?

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies