Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

caba5440

I filed in'17 as single with LT cap loss caryover of $3000. I was FTgrad stud w/no income and was dep on parents return in 18 and 19. Can I use my cap loss in 20?

As a dependent during grad school, I did not use my annual cap loss carryover because I had no income. Now that I am filing as single, can I use the carryover this and subsequent years?
Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

3 Replies
MaryK4
Expert Alumni

I filed in'17 as single with LT cap loss caryover of $3000. I was FTgrad stud w/no income and was dep on parents return in 18 and 19. Can I use my cap loss in 20?

You cannot use a capital loss carryover of $3,000 from 2017 on your 2020 tax return.  You must apply $3000 loss to each year until the loss is fully used.

When you figure the amount of any capital loss carryover to the next year, you must take the current year's allowable deduction into account, whether or not you claimed it and whether or not you filed a return for the current year.

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

You said you had no income in 2018 or 2019.  Any scholarships or grants?  Teaching assistantship?

"I did not use my annual cap loss carryover because I had no income."

Wrong move. If you file correctly, with no income, your capital loss will carry forward.

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies