Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

dschn

I entered some royalty income (from gas wells) from a 1099-MISC and Turbo-Tax wants to make me to fill out forms (Sch. C) for a small business; why is that?

There is no business involved here; the income is just gas well royalites from land previously owned by a relative, and to which I am entitled until death.

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Reply
CathiM

I entered some royalty income (from gas wells) from a 1099-MISC and Turbo-Tax wants to make me to fill out forms (Sch. C) for a small business; why is that?

You should delete the 1099-MISC and enter it in the Rental Properties and Royalties (Sch E) section directly.  It should not be asking you to fill out Sch C. To start over, follow the steps below:

Enter you 1099-Misc information under Wages & Income, choose Rental Properties and Royalties (Sch E)

1. Click on Yes on the screen Income from Rentals or Royalty Property You Own 
  2. Click on continue through the next screen
  3. Click on Royalty property or payment on the screen Is This a Rental Property or Royalty?
  4. Enter the Description, Location, address and continue through screens to,
  5. What Type of Royalty Income? screen.  Check Oil and Gas Royalty Income
  6. Enter your Royalty information on the next screen "Income from Rentals or Royalty Property You Owned"
  7. Continue through screen until done
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies