turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

francasta

I don't know if I can depreciate my truck use for business? It's hard to understand that. Thanks for helping .Fran

I will file with itemized deduction...but I depreciate some years and not some other years..because sometimes I use standard deductions.My truck has lots of repairs in 2018..will be probably used 1 more year.Can I depreciating it again or I cannot.It's complicate to understand .Thanks for helping Fran

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Reply
JulieR
Expert Alumni

I don't know if I can depreciate my truck use for business? It's hard to understand that. Thanks for helping .Fran

It depends. You can only deduct vehicle expenses for a vehicle you own and use in your business. The rules are that if you claimed the standard mileage rate in the first year you used this vehicle for business, you will have the option of deducting the standard rate or actual expenses in subsequent years. 

If you claimed actual vehicle expenses in the first year you used this vehicle for business, you must choose actual expenses in every subsequent year for that auto.  

Note: Due to Tax Reform, vehicle expenses, for employees, are not deductible for 2018.

The following provides more information about vehicle expenses. https://ttlc.intuit.com/replies/3302360 

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies