Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

annakwang

I didn't sell any stock last year but had $24,900 of capital gains. Is it the dividends I received? What kind of dividends may subject to capital gain tax? Thanks.

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

2 Replies

I didn't sell any stock last year but had $24,900 of capital gains. Is it the dividends I received? What kind of dividends may subject to capital gain tax? Thanks.

Look at box 2a of your 1099-DIV. Mutual funds pass on capital gains to the holders of their funds. 

JamesG1
Expert Alumni

You will find capital gains reported in box 2a of IRS from 1099-DIV.

These gains are reported on line 13 of IRS Schedule D.

This IRS FAQ explains:

A mutual fund is a regulated investment company that pools funds of investors allowing them to take advantage of a diversity of investments and professional asset management.

You own shares in the mutual fund but the fund owns capital assets, such as shares of stock, corporate bonds, government obligations, etc. One of the ways the fund makes money for you is to sell these assets at a gain.

If the mutual fund held the capital asset for more than one year, the nature of the income from a sale of the capital asset is capital gain, and the mutual fund passes it on to you as a capital gain distribution.

@annakwang 

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies