Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

I currently hold stocks that pay dividends, which I reinvest in the stock. I have not personally sold anything, so do I have to report anything?

I own just a few SMP 500 stocks which I have received dividends for, and reinvested back in the stock. I know I have to report them on my tax return if I sell them, but I'm not sure if I have to in this case. Also, I didn't receive a form 1099-b, so I'm not sure how I would in the firts place.
Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

2 Replies
PattiF
Expert Alumni

I currently hold stocks that pay dividends, which I reinvest in the stock. I have not personally sold anything, so do I have to report anything?

Investors do have to report dividends as taxable income even if they reinvest them to buy more shares. Companies and brokerage companies will report such dividends on 1099-DIV forms the same way regardless of whether you reinvest in new shares, and the IRS will expect you to include them on your annual tax return. You should receive a 1099-DIV for the stocks that are in the dividend reinvestment program.

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

Yes.  The dividends should be reported to you with a 1099-INT form.  Reinvesting dividends is no different then if the dividends were sent to you in cash and then you used that money to buy new stock.    Either way it is taxable income.

If you did not receive a 1099-INT then contact the payer of the dividends to see what happened to it and get it reissued.

**Disclaimer: This post is for discussion purposes only and is NOT tax advice. The author takes no responsibility for the accuracy of any information in this post.**
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies