Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

burns890

I bought a condo on 01/04/16, I signed a contract to rent it on 11/18/2016. It didn't rent until 01/07/17, so I had no income but I had a lot of expenses

($12,000), when can I claim losses.
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions
PatriciaV
Expert Alumni

I bought a condo on 01/04/16, I signed a contract to rent it on 11/18/2016. It didn't rent until 01/07/17, so I had no income but I had a lot of expenses

It depends on when you incurred those costs and how the money was spent

If you listed the property, then made repairs, you would report those costs under Rental Expenses in the Rental Properties & Royalties section. Expenses greater than income for the current tax year may create a passive loss that will carry forward to next year to offset future income.

However, any expenses you incurred before you listed the property increase the basis of the property and should be entered as separate Rental Assets (Improvements), subject to amortization. These costs would not be recovered until you sell the property.

In general, repairs are expensed and improvements are capitalized. An improvement restores the property or adapts it to a new use. Replacing the wiring, installing new HVAC, and adding a garage, are examples of improvements. A repair expense replaces existing components of the property (carpeting, bath fixtures, appliances, etc.)

See the posts below for help entering this in TurboTax:

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

View solution in original post

1 Reply
PatriciaV
Expert Alumni

It depends on when you incurred those costs and how the money was spent

If you listed the property, then made repairs, you would report those costs under Rental Expenses in the Rental Properties & Royalties section. Expenses greater than income for the current tax year may create a passive loss that will carry forward to next year to offset future income.

However, any expenses you incurred before you listed the property increase the basis of the property and should be entered as separate Rental Assets (Improvements), subject to amortization. These costs would not be recovered until you sell the property.

In general, repairs are expensed and improvements are capitalized. An improvement restores the property or adapts it to a new use. Replacing the wiring, installing new HVAC, and adding a garage, are examples of improvements. A repair expense replaces existing components of the property (carpeting, bath fixtures, appliances, etc.)

See the posts below for help entering this in TurboTax:

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies