Open TurboTax

Why sign in to the Community?

• Submit a question
  • Check your notifications
or and start working on your taxes
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
schultzdonna

I appealed my 2017 property tax related to a rental. In 2018 I received a refund for the approved appeal. Do I need to file amended fed'l & state returns? If so, by when?

The property tax reduction/refund was about $1200 and refunded in April 2018.
3 Replies
maglib
Level 10

I appealed my 2017 property tax related to a rental. In 2018 I received a refund for the approved appeal. Do I need to file amended fed'l & state returns? If so, by when?

You are a cash basis taxpayer and you did not receive the refund till 2018.  It will be a refund of a prior year property tax. Use the amount to reduce the property taxes you can declare this year. It may not impact you at all if you only claim a standard deduction.

**I don't work for TT. Just trying to help. All the best.
***Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post and that I solved your question
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
ratings image
schultzdonna

Yes, I am a cash basis taxpayer. To reduce the property taxes I declare this year, do I just subtract the refund from what I paid and enter that amount for property taxes? Or do I put the subtraction in a specific line item?  Or do I have to count the property tax refund as income?
maglib
Level 10

Yes just reduce the amount paid by the amount you received as a refund.
**I don't work for TT. Just trying to help. All the best.
***Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post and that I solved your question
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

About Community

Learn about taxes, budgeting, saving, borrowing, reducing debt, investing, and planning for retirement.

3.49m
Members

2.63m
Discussions

Manage cookies
v
ABCDEFGHIJKLMNOPQRSTUVWXYZabcdefghijklmnopqrstuvwxyz0123456789-_~