Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

I am the manager of two rental properties I own, can I claim that as my business?

I have all my receipts because I do have expenses related to running this business.
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Reply
AmandaR1

I am the manager of two rental properties I own, can I claim that as my business?

Yes, your expenses are deductible regardless of if you report your activity as a rental or a business. To qualify as a business, you'll need to meet the criteria of a "Real estate professional". 

The only advantage of this is that the losses aren't limited to $25,000 or phased out over the income limitation. The expenses deducted don't change.

To Qualify As A Real Estimate Professional (see attachment from the learn more button in TurboTax at the start of the rental section you're are asked these questions):

1. Must spend more than 750 hours a yearly involved in real estate and keep good records of this time (this can be commonly reviewed by the IRS).
  2. Spend more than 50% of your work-related time involved in real estate. 

Note that you can deduct all of you expenses on schedule E, reducing your rental income. As rental income is passive income, you usually cannot take a loss against all other types of income. However, there's a rental property exception that as long as you actively participate in managing the rental, you can take up to a $25,000 loss against all other income.  However, this deduction is phased out over total personal income of $100,000 - $150,000. 

Based on this added info, let me know where you're at and your follow up questions for more assistance.

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies