Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

chas64

I am married and file "married filing separately" I own and rent out a condo. Are my condo expenses deductible?

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions
pk
Level 15
Level 15

I am married and file "married filing separately" I own and rent out a condo. Are my condo expenses deductible?

Generally not --- there are special cases when indeed can deduct  such expenses.  But my suggestion would be to try and prepare your return both ways -- Married Filing Joint and Married Filing Sep ( if that is possible ) .  There is a huge difference on standard deduction  allowable  under the two conditions  and  may be  it would be worth your while to investigate  and then choose the most beneficial path.

View solution in original post

1 Reply
pk
Level 15
Level 15

Generally not --- there are special cases when indeed can deduct  such expenses.  But my suggestion would be to try and prepare your return both ways -- Married Filing Joint and Married Filing Sep ( if that is possible ) .  There is a huge difference on standard deduction  allowable  under the two conditions  and  may be  it would be worth your while to investigate  and then choose the most beneficial path.

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies