Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

I am at the sale of business or rental property section it is asking for the info for the business portion only? where do I enter the sale info for my rental property?

I sold rental property I just need to know where to enter it.  I am at the wages and income.  I entered that I sold my property but it takes me to the section where it states sale of business or rental property.  and then it says to enter the costs that relates to the business portion only
Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

3 Replies
RobertB4444
Expert Alumni

I am at the sale of business or rental property section it is asking for the info for the business portion only? where do I enter the sale info for my rental property?

When you're entering in the information about the rental property for the year then you will be asked if you sold the property.  You'll enter the sale there - in the rental property section, not in the sale of business property section.

@cynaguirre 

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
wufibugs

Is this correct?  As I recall Turbotax directed me not to enter the information relating to the mid-year sale of my rental property in the rental section, but in the section for the sale of business assets.  The rental section, it said was for the profit or loss related to the portion of the year the property was rented out before sale.

Entering it as directed by Turbotax resulted in a massive increase in my "taxable income" and a very large capital gain obligation.

MarilynG1
Expert Alumni

If you stopped renting and sold the home in the same year, you can enter the Sale Info under Assets/Depreciation in the Rental section.

If there was a period of time between when you stopped renting and the sale (into the next year),  you can mark the rental 'converted to personal use' in the Rental section and then enter the sale in the Sale of Business Property section later.  This will stop the Schedule E depreciation as of the disposition date. 

You should come out with the same amount of Capital Gain either way.  If you made Improvements to the home after you stopped renting, before selling, you can enter them as an Asset in the Rental section, (which is also sold, so adds to Cost Basis).  In the Sale of Business Property section, you would add the amount of improvements to the original Cost Basis, still subtracting the required depreciation amount in either case. 

Sales Costs are also added with either method.  Depreciation taken (recapture) is what usually causes the capital gain and TurboTax calculates and displays that amount for you when you indicate you have sold the property in the Asset/Depreciation section .  Check your Form 4562 and add Prior and Current Depreciation amounts together if entering in Sale of Business Property. 

Be sure you indicate that you 'rented for all of 2023', which means up to the sale date, and that Business Use was 100% after placed in service.  When asked if 'Special Handling Required' say NO, and you'll get the screen to add Sales Costs. 

You can review all the sales calculations on the Asset Entry Worksheet for the property.  Look for the Original Cost, the Depreciation taken, the Depreciable Basis, and the Disposition with sales proceeds. 

@wufibugs 

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies