Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

kflanigin

I am about to rent my home, owned for 16 yrs. To depreciate as a rental property, I use ORIGINAL improv value, yes? if yes, where on earth do I find that original value?

x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Reply
PatriciaV
Expert Alumni

I am about to rent my home, owned for 16 yrs. To depreciate as a rental property, I use ORIGINAL improv value, yes? if yes, where on earth do I find that original value?

It depends.

According to IRS Pub 551 Property Changed to Business or Rental Use

If you hold property for personal use and then change it to business use or use it to produce rent, you must figure its basis for depreciation. An example of changing property held for personal use to business use would be renting out your former main home.

The basis for depreciation is the lesser of the following amounts.

• The FMV of the property on the date of the change, or
  • Your adjusted basis on the date of the change.

The best source for the Fair Market Value (FMV) on the date of the change would be a local real estate agent who can provide comparable sales. This is good evidence for the value of your home on that date.

Your adjusted basis in the Rental Property is the original purchase price plus any improvements (upgrades or additions) that you have made. Historical property tax records may provide the price you paid for the home. Look online for your county Tax Assessor website - many have historical records available online. Also, the original HUD/Closing documents would have this value. Improvement costs would come from your personal financial records.

In most cases, your adjusted basis would be less than the FMV, so that is the basis you would use for your Rental Property.

[revised]

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies