Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

I am a CA resident but cash rent IA farmland. The rent on this affects my CA taxes but I believe it should not. Is that correct? What adjustment is needed?

what adjustment is needed to remove IA farm cash rent from CA taxes?
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

5 Replies

I am a CA resident but cash rent IA farmland. The rent on this affects my CA taxes but I believe it should not. Is that correct? What adjustment is needed?

nelsonga100,

Sorry, but California taxes all income earned while you are a CA resident so that includes the IA farmland. If, as I suspect, you are also on the hook to IA on that same income, you get to claim a credit against your CA tax bill for the income tax you pay to IA.

Thank you for the response. I was afraid that was the situation. Do you know how I claim the credit for the IA tax bill?

Go into the CA state return and select Credits and Taxes.  Then select Other State Tax Credit.

Thank you for your help. It is much appreciated!

You're most welcome.

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies