Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

I added an addition to an exisitng rental property. Where do I enter the various costs for the addition?

x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions
JulieR
Expert Alumni

I added an addition to an exisitng rental property. Where do I enter the various costs for the addition?

Under Income & Expenses/Rental Properties and Royalties, click "Yes" to answer " Did you have any rental or royalty income and expenses in 2018...." and answer the question about realty professionals. The next screen takes you to the Rental Summary page.  Click "Edit" next to the property. On the next screen click "Start" or "Edit/Add" next to Assets/Depreciation to enter the information pertaining to your addition.  The cost basis of the addition will be the sum of all expenses incurred for the addition.

View solution in original post

2 Replies
JulieR
Expert Alumni

Under Income & Expenses/Rental Properties and Royalties, click "Yes" to answer " Did you have any rental or royalty income and expenses in 2018...." and answer the question about realty professionals. The next screen takes you to the Rental Summary page.  Click "Edit" next to the property. On the next screen click "Start" or "Edit/Add" next to Assets/Depreciation to enter the information pertaining to your addition.  The cost basis of the addition will be the sum of all expenses incurred for the addition.

It's good advice except that I didn't ask the question in the right way and asked an accountant with TT for help which we got.  Thanks in any case!
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies