turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

How to write off an asset as an expense when the asset has been depreciated to a small amount, less than $200?

When entering asset information into Turbo Tax, received the message "How would you like to write off this item?"  Turbo Tax goes on to say "Generally, items that cost $200 or less should be expensed (the full value of the item is deducted this year) rather than depreciated (the value of the item is deducted over a period of several years).

Then Turbo Tax asks if "I'd like to enter this item as an expense later" or if "I'd like to continue entering this item as an asset".

If I choose the former, "I'd like to enter this item as an expense later", where do I enter the expense?  Assume somewhere on Schedule E, but where?  In miscellaneous expenses?

Thanks for your help.

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions

How to write off an asset as an expense when the asset has been depreciated to a small amount, less than $200?

If the "asset" had been depreciated because it was "placed in service" in a prior year, you need to keep depreciating it.   You are not allowed to deduct the remaining amount just because it is under $200 in the current year.

View solution in original post

4 Replies
Carl
Level 15

All expenses are entered in the Rental Expenses section. Period. If it doesn't fit one of the categories in that section, then enter it in the *very* *very* *very* last section of expenses, which is for miscellaneous expenses.

Thanks Carl!

If the "asset" had been depreciated because it was "placed in service" in a prior year, you need to keep depreciating it.   You are not allowed to deduct the remaining amount just because it is under $200 in the current year.

Thanks AmeliesUncle!  This is helpful information.  Will keep depreciating the assets over the years until fully depreciated.

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies