Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

tazcrazy3

How to report the sale of co-owned second home in the inventment section of TurboTax Premier?

The co-owners and myself received the 1099-S forms after the sale of our co-owned second home.  The Gross Proceeds were split 50%-50% between the other co-owner and myself and that is what each 1099-S form shows on each of our forms.  Do I report the total Gross Proceeds (100%) in the "Sale Proceeds" field and the total purchase price (100%) in the "Cost or Other Basis" in the investment section of TurboTax premier? Or do I use the 50% Gross Proceeds shown on my copy of the 1099-S form in "Sale Proceeds" field and enter 50% of the purchase price in the "Cost or Other Basis" field?

Proceeds - Purchase.png

I see further questions ask if there were any selling expenses which there were and should I put the total expenses in that field or 50% of the selling expenses?  Then onto the next question about if part of the proceeds of the sale belong to someone else? (yes in this case the co-owner) Do I make the adjustment to show a negative adjust to offset the the total gains by 50%? Adjustments.png

This section is very confusing and not sure what I should be entering in these fields.  Please let me know. 

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Reply

How to report the sale of co-owned second home in the inventment section of TurboTax Premier?

you enter only your share of each item. so if the house sold for $100K total your 1099-S showed $50K and that's what you enter.  closing costs and any selling expenses paid outside of closing need to be split 50/50.  if the total cost of the house was $30K that needs to be split 50/50. 

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies