Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

How to report rental income

I get a 1099-MISC from my property manager, and I enter that in the 1099-MISC section.

But then under the Rental and Royalty section, it asks for "Cash, Checks, Forms 1099-MISC and 1099-K" under "Rental Income", and I have one section for each property, where I enter itemized income and expenses.

I ALSO get a Schedule E from my property manager, which itemizes income and expenses for each property.

So should I also be entering the income in the separate 1099-MISC section? I'm afraid this income will be double counted.

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Reply
AnnetteB6
Expert Alumni

How to report rental income

As long as you indicated that the Form 1099-MISC was for a rental property reported on Schedule E when you entered it in the 1099-MISC section of TurboTax, it will not be counted twice.  Instead, it will be taken to the Schedule E section for your rental properties.

If you want to be absolutely sure, delete the entry that you made in the 1099-MISC section and enter it only with the Schedule E information where it will be tied directly to a particular property.  

One thing to be aware of, if you have multiple properties with income being reported on a single Form 1099-MISC, then you should divide the income shown on the 1099-MISC among the properties.  Do not enter the full amount with each one or the income will be overstated.  It is OK to enter the 1099-MISC under each property with only that property's income shown as rent as long as the total rent reported among all your properties is equal to what is reported on the Form 1099-MISC.

@bcrichards

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies