Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

dcrutford
Returning Member

How to report installment sale of stock

In the calculations made by Turbo Tax on my 2019 tax entries, the program has taken my amount entered for real estate taxes ($4,234.00) and entered it into Form 8949 as a negative value with the explanation "1915 Waverly Avenue Susp At-Risk Loss."  What does that mean?  It has never done that in previous years.  It renders my taxes as incompatible with e-filing.  Is this a mistake?  Did my fingers hit something by mistake?

SusanY1
Expert Alumni

Did you sell the property 1915 Waverly Ave in 2019?  It sounds like it is indicating that you had a loss that you were not able to take (likely due to your income limiting the deduction) but that it is recognizing them due to the sale of the property. 

If you did not sell the property, this is likely the indicator that is in error somewhere in the entries - likely in the asset area of your "Rentals and Royalties" income section of the program.  In most versions, this is a checkbox.  

If you did sell the property, then this may be correct and you may need to file by mail this year.   

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
Edgetheo
Returning Member

I had three lots (i.e., purchased on three different dates) of QSB Stock held for more than five years that I sold (actually, received cash in a taxable merger) in 2021.  I received a payment in 2021 that was less than my cost basis in two of the lots, and more than my cost basis in one of the lots, and the gain on the one lot is more than the losses on the other two, so I am net positive in the year of sale if gains and losses are considered together.  There will be contingent payments based on achievement of various milestones in future years, and it is likely that the gains on all of these lots will be substantial over the remaining years, but the amount can't be known at this point.  

I received a 1099-B from a financial institution that was engaged by the acquiror, but the 1099-B provides no information other than gross proceeds paid in 2021 and date of sale in 2021.  Given that this is an installment sale, I can't use the Personal Income / Investment Income (i.e., for 1099-Bs), so I assume I have to use the general installment sale method you described in your answer.  

Using that method, should I treat each lot separately, and will I be able to make entries for the 1202 capital gain exclusion for QSB Stock?   If not, how do I handle that in TurboTax?  Secondly, when I received additional payments in 2022 and beyond, do I still get to apply the 1202 capital gain exclusion based on the sale in 2021?  If I have shown losses for two lots in 2021 that turn into gains as of 2022 or later, how do I report that?  It almost seems to me that in those cases, what I received in 2021 was more like partial return of capital, but I'm just guessing at this point.

If you need any more detail, I would be happy to provide it.

If you could give me any insights on these issues, I would be most grateful.

Thank you,

Steve A.

MarilynG1
Expert Alumni

Yes, you should treat each lot separately, and you will be able to make entries for the 1202 capital gain exclusion for QSB Stock.

You should be able to do the same for 2022. 

Click this link for steps and screenshots for QSBS Section 1202 Exclusion

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies