Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

How to record sale of a rental property which switched between primary residence and rental status (home-rent-home-rent) and use the "Qualified Extended Duty" exemption?

@Carl,

This is how I got it to work:

Topic List => Rental Income (Schedule E) => Rental and Royalty Properties - Add, Edit, Delete

NOTE: "TurboTax Title or Question" => MY RESPONSE

"So far You're not a Real Estate Professional"=> None of the above

"Rental and Royalty Summary" => Edit

"Sale of Property / Depreciation" => Update

"Do you want to go directly to your asset summary?" => Yes, I want to go to my asset summary

"Your Property Assets" => Edit

"Review Information" => Filled in details based upon situation (adjusted basis, etc.)

"Did You Stop Using This Asset in 2020?" => Yes

"Disposition Information"

"Date of Sale or Disposition" => 6/26/2020

"Date Acquired" => BLANK (according to the fine print in "Learn More" - I HAD TO CLEAR THIS FIELD AS PRIOR DATA WAS IMPORTED)

"Special Handling Required?" => No (This appears to be the ONLY way to get into the proper screens following this point. This does not make sense based upon the question details, but I take it to mean that 'NO, the business percentage of this asset did not vary during the years it was rented (mine was 100%)'. THIS ANSWER IS PART OF THE MAGIC TO MAKE T-TAX DANCE.)

"Home Sale - Was this asset included in the sale of your main home" => Yes

"Home Sale - Was the rental portion a separate dwelling unit from the home you lived in?" => No (my situation for 100% rental of the property).

Could be the following if you have information in T-Tax already ("Home Sale - We previously reported the sale of this home on the Home Sale Worksheet for your home sold at <home address>. Is this correct?" => Yes (I don't think this question is presented the first time through, but I saw it while documenting my method))

"Ownership and Address of Home Sold" => Enter appropriate details on screen

"Sales Information" => Enter Asset details (I did not use Land Sales Price even though directions indicate that you must allocate between asset and land. This decision is consistent with IRS Pub 523 and is required to get Section 121 exclusion working properly. Your mileage may vary, so go through Pub 523 to see if you have any special situations).

"Time You Lived In Your Home" => No in my situation using 'Qualified Extended Duty' suspension

"Did You Use This Home for Anything Other Than Your Primary Home?" => No (According to Note: If you used your home for reasons other than as your primary residence after it was no longer your primary home, select "No".). This simply means was it partially used for something else while you lived in it. THIS ANSWER IS PART OF THE MAGIC TO MAKE T-TAX DANCE. 

"Another Home Sale" => No

"Home Ownership for the Reduced Exclusion" => Both of us (my situation)

"Reason for Sale" => Other reasons

"Other Reasons for Sale" => Military, foreign service, intelligence community employee, Peace Corps

"Member of the Military or Foreign Service" => Yes

"Part of Your Gain is Tax Free" => You don't have to pay income tax on <capital gains - depreciation claimed> on this sale of your home. You have a taxable gain of <depreciation claimed> on this sale.

VICTORY!!!

BTW, form 4797 is generated in this situation and is now accurate based upon the detail of the asset sale.

Cheers

How to record sale of a rental property which switched between primary residence and rental status (home-rent-home-rent) and use the "Qualified Extended Duty" exemption?

@Carl,

Yes, this is what I was doing, but I was getting the wrong numbers for the final result. I now get the same answers using T-Tax and Pub 523. I THINK the issue was prior data on the property that T-Tax was bringing forward since I have used T-Tax since the year I purchased this home. I had to remove the purchase date and then it behaved as I expected. Glad to get through this. Now back to my original return to see if this works there with these changes.

I hope my write-up helps someone else in the future ... better yet, I hope nobody has this convoluted situation.

Thank you for all your help!

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies