Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Attend our Ask the Experts event about Extension Filers on Sept 25! >> RSVP NOW!
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

taxed24

how to record in T Tax: IRS considers a not-for-profit rental as "For Profit" since it has not had a loss for the past 5 years.

Per IRS Instructions, a not-for-profit rental home that has not had a loss in the past 5 years is considered a "for-profit" rental.  However, T Tax asks me to enter the number of days that the home was rented out at fair market value (which is 0) and the number of days it was rented out as "personal property" which would be 364 days, according to the T Tax instructions.   

Since the IRS would consider this property as a "For-Profit" now, I need to use schedule e but, because of the requirement in T Tax to list the # of days at fair market value, I cannot use schedule e unless I (incorrectly) list the number of days that the home was rented out at fair market value as 365. Am I allowed to do this and how would I inform IRS why I did it?

Also, since it's considered a "for-profit" rental now, can I deduct the repair expenses since they did not exceed the rental income? 

x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Reply

how to record in T Tax: IRS considers a not-for-profit rental as "For Profit" since it has not had a loss for the past 5 years.

You can deduct rental expenses if you're entering the income on Schedule E.

Whether that is proper or not I will leave up to you as much of this involves the intent of the owner.

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies