Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

How to properly enter Adjsted Cost Basis and other info related to sale of ESPP and RSUs

Hi there,

I have sold ESPP and RSUs from previous employer. I have ETrade Supplemental and also form 3922 of past years from the years when they were bought.

After importing ETrade forms, I selected the option which said "My 1099-B has info I know isn't right, or it has extra info I need to add" .

ESPP:

Now I click Edit on each ESPP Shares and I reached the screen "Tell us about your E-Trade 1099B". I have the form  Here are my questions:

1) Should I change the amount of Total cost basis (sum off all 1e) with the Adjusted Cost basis from ETrade Supplement form or should I proceed as below in screen "Tell us about your E-Trade 1099B"? Or should I leave it as original cost basis in 1099B?

2) Upon Continue and clicking done, should I do the following?

a) Choose: "This stock was acquired through Employee Stock Purchase Plan ->

b) Chose ESPP->

c) Chose Employer from drop down though 2 entries appear for my employer - One in caps and one in lower case. I chose one of them.->

d) I then chose "Walk me through adding more info.:" -> 

e) Enter 15 for discount ->

f) Yes (one purchase lot) ->

g) "Yes I have form 3922"

h)  Enter all the info from from 3922 in the screen "Let's get some purchase info about this ESPP sale from Form 3922)

j) I get the screen "Good news: We've adjusted your ESPP cost basis for you". The adjusted values shown match the values in my ETrade 1099-Supplemental.

k) "Compensation Income" screen comes up.

3) In the "Compensation income" screen, is the following the right way? I ask because I did not have to enter all this in TT Premier 2019 , it just prompted me to enter "Adjusted Cost Basis" which is not in this 2020 TT version.

a) I notice that the profit shown  = "Total Proceeds-Cost Basis", which higher the Adjusted Gain shown in Supplement. I hope that is ok. Continue ->

b) In the "Capital Gain" screen, Long-term gain shown = Adjusted Cost basis shown in Supplemental Form.

c) Screen : "Select any less common adjustments that apply" I choose Continue ->

4) After performing all the above steps, when I click on "done" and go back to Edit , I see "Cost Basis" and not adjusted cost basis in "Box 1e" in the screen "Tell us about your E*Trade Securities LLCc1099-B". Is that ok?

RSU:

1) I edit each RSU ->

2) Screen "Tell us about your E*Trade Securities LLCC 1099-B": Box 1e is red and empty. Is it ok to enter the Adjusted Cost basis from my ETrade Supplement here?

3) Once I enter the screen "Enter vesting (or Release) information" screen, is it ok to enter the values here from my ETrade -> Tax Information -> Cost Basis -> Document from employer about release of those shares?

Is the above the right procedure to enter the information for ESPP and RSUs? I see many different options and hence would appreciate your kind confirmation and advicee.

Thanks in advance for your advice.

Regards.

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Reply

How to properly enter Adjsted Cost Basis and other info related to sale of ESPP and RSUs

The only way I could get the adjustment to cost basis (based on compensation income) was to use the ""Walk me through adding more info.:" ->" 

See this post: https://ttlc.intuit.com/community/investments-and-rental-properties/discussion/re-espp-why-did-tt-po...

When I try to do it the right way, TurboTax does not adjust the cost basis and uses the incorrect market-value cost basis (hence double taxation - negative for you) - I also don't get a 3922 so our situations aren't exactly the same 

There must be a bug with the 2020 software (see also all the rounding errors with 8949s) - they changed something because this worked fine in 2019 for me

No idea on RSUes but I see more than a few threads on those in here...

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies