Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

How to enter de minis safe harbor costs for DST rental property in Turbo Tax

We have an investment in a DST apartment building and have an Individual DST Interest (we do not own the whole building).  On the financial statement provided by the DST sponsor for our 2021 taxes, on the income statement, it has listed an expense as follows:

De Minimis Safe Harbor Election Costs

- Recreational Facilities  ... 4.01

- HVAC ... 2.33

- Carpet ... 467.66

- etc

All costs for all items listed are less than $2,500.  The DST sponsor includes the following statement with the financials:  On your Profit & Loss Statement, there is a section titled De Minimis Safe Harbor Election Costs, which are items that were purchased during 2021 and Passco has identified as meeting the requirements of the de minimis safe harbor election pursuant to the Treasury Regulation.

How do I enter this information into Turbo Tax?

- Do I enter the total for De Minimis Safe Harbor Election Costs on the financial statement as an "Other Expenses" on Schedule E?

- Or do I work through the Asset Entry steps:

-  answer NO, I want to review my answers to the annual elections questions

-   answer YES to "Did you buy any items for ... rental property .... that cost $2,500 or less in 2021

-  Answer YES to both questions on the next screen titled "Let's see if you can deduct these items as expenses"

-  on the next screen "Now, let's review each item you bought"  ...  every item listed by the sponsor for De Minimis Safe Harbor is under $2,500, however there are other items/assets that were put into service in 2021 that are listed elsewhere in the financial statement that I plan to (have to) depreciate.  So not sure how to answer the two questions on this screen and what to do next.

Thanks for your help, Think57

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Reply
ColeenD3
Expert Alumni

How to enter de minis safe harbor costs for DST rental property in Turbo Tax

- Do I enter the total for De Minimis Safe Harbor Election Costs on the financial statement as an "Other Expenses" on Schedule E? Yes.

You will enter each asset you want to depreciate in the Asset section. List each one separately and work through the entire interview before going on the the next asset.

Indicate the percentage of ownership you have when setting up the rental.

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies