Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

dah8

How to do FBAR reporting for Wise/Transferwise borderless account(s), cryptocurrency exchange, and other accounts

Hi,

I am a visiting scholar in the US and this year (for the tax year 2021) I had to file for the first time as a resident for federal tax purposes.

That also means that I have to submit an FBAR report and I have problems completing it.

My "real" foreign bank accounts are easy to report because the FBAR forms have been made for them. However, I am clueless when it comes to accounts that don't fit the norm, such as the Wise/Transferwise Borderless account (https://wise.com), the cryptocurrency exchange market kraken.com, or "other" accounts.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Wise/Transferwise Borderless account

Wise (formerly Transferwise) started as an international money transfer service. In recent years, they introduced the Borderless account, which is an awesome service for international people: You receive a debit card and you can hold multiple currencies on this account and always pay with the right currency. Adding a new currency only takes a click. In addition to that, you also receive local bank account details in the country of the currency, which allows you to receive money from other people in that country. However, this does not apply to all currencies. For instance, if you hold currency in CHF, you don't get Swiss bank account details, but if you add EUR or USD, you receive bank details in Brussels and NYC, respectively.

So this one Borderless account gets local bank account details in several countries for every currency.

As for every regular bank account, you can print statements:

The statement for my USD account shows the following address:

Wise Europe SA, Avenue Louise 54/S52, Brussels, 1050, Belgium

However, the account and routing numbers for receiving USD from inside the US is:

Evolve Bank & Trust, 19 W 24th Street, New York, 10010, USA
And for receiving money on this account from outside the US, is:
Community Federal Savings Bank, 89-16 Jamaica Avenue, Woodhaven, NY, 11421, USA.

Both have their own and different account number that is linked to my Wise/Transferwise Borderless account.

(1) ---> So which account number, bank, and bank address do I have to report?

The statement for my GBP account shows again the Belgian address in the header,

but the bank account details are with:

TransferWise, 56 Shoreditch High Street, London, E1, 6JJ, United Kingdom

(2) ---> Which address do I have to report?

(The statement for my EUR account shows again the Belgian address in the header and here (finally) the bank address connected to the bank details is the same as in the header)

The statement for my CHF account shows again the Belgian address in the header, but this "account" neither has a bank account number, nor a bank address in Switzerland.

(3) ---> How shall I report this one?

(4) ---> Or should I convert the highest value in each currency in the year to USD and then report the sum together with the Belgian address or report everything separately?
(5) ---> If I report everything together and use my Transferwise account username (my email address) and someone stumbles over the other account data, am I then going to be fined?

There were cases where I converted money from one currency to another (the main purpose of this account). If I report the highest value in each currency, then convert it to USD, and then sum up (or report individually), this will virtually double the amount of money that I would have to report, although I only had half that much.

(6) ---> Is it supposed to be like that?

I contacted the Transferwise support and they were not very helpful. They don't know FBAR and they might also not care about it. It is just not their responsibility ...
I assume there must be thousands of US persons that are Wise/Transferwise customers. How are they doing the FBAR reporting? There is another thread in this forum about Transferwise, but it only dealt with whether you have to report it and not how.

Cryptocurrency exchange (kraken.com)

I always thought kraken.com would be located in SF ... good that I contacted them. Since I opened the account before I came to the US and charged the account with EUR, my account is actually in London, UK. It depends on where you opened it and with which currency.

First I thought that I only have to report the cash (EUR) amount on this account, but now after I asked my tax advisor, I was told that I also have to report the cryptocurrency in this account.

(7) ---> How shall I report this?

(7.1) ---> Do I have to take the highest amount in every cryptocurrency that I was holding during the year, convert it to USD with the exchange rate on 12/31/2022, and sum it up?

Cryptocurrencies are not in the "Treasury Reporting Rates of Exchange" list and the rates were not fixed on 12/31/2022, they fluctuate!

(7.2) ---> How do I have to convert this?

If I want to buy cryptocurrency, I first have to transfer cash to the account (like a brokerage account). If I use that cash to buy crypto, I am in the same situation as above: I have to report twice the amount of money that I actually had. That doesn't sound right (---> see (5)).

(8) ---> How would you report a foreign brokerage account? (I guess this is a similar situation)

Other money/accounts

(9) ---> Not that I would use/have that, but how about google or apple pay etc ... ? (That also exists in other countries.)

My visit to the US is almost over and I will leave this year. That means that my residence status for tax purposes will change.

I will definitively open new non-US bank accounts this year.

(10) ---> If I open them after I left, do I have to report them?
(It would be still the same tax year and I will likely transfer all my US money to these accounts. So all my non-reportable money in the US will become foreign money)

I am a bit scared of doing something wrong and being charged $100k or 50% have of all my savings.

Thank you!

Best,

D

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

3 Replies

How to do FBAR reporting for Wise/Transferwise borderless account(s), cryptocurrency exchange, and other accounts

From a quick reading of your questions, this is complicated and not tax related per se.  I would recommend you go to a CPA or an attorney versed in this area.

**Disclaimer: Effort has been made to offer correct information; but due to the discussion forum limitations, the poster disclaims any legal responsibility for the accuracy of the poster's response**

You and I (and I'm sure thousands of others) have very similar questions about reporting USD side and where the money lives and or is regulated so as to know the reporting country for purposes of the FBAR report.  I'd love to know if you found any answers.

DaveF1006
Expert Alumni

As i mentioned in my previous post, the reporting country will be the UK since the Financial Control Authority regulates Transferwise.

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies