Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

How to calculate capital gains/losses for exercising ISO, Paying AMT, and selling the following year

Hello

I'm looking to know how to calculate adjusted capital gains/losses for the following situation:
  1. I exercised ISOs early 2021 (just before my company went public) and held
  2. In my 2021 taxes, I paid AMT taxes on the unrealized capital gains from exercising the ISOs
  3. I sold some of these stock in 2022 as long-term stocks for less than the value of the stock at the time I exercised.
Filing taxes now, but the cost basis reported for the sales of the stock is at my strike price, and not adjusted for the tax. So it looks like I'm paying tax again. Is this just covered by AMT credit over time, or do I also need to do an adjustment for capital gains/losses?

Example (not real numbers - just for reference; also indicating that I'm selling all my ISOs for simplicity in this example):
  • In 2017 I was granted 100 ISO options.
  • Early 2021, I exercised all 100 stocks with a strike price of $2 and a values of $102. That gives me a $10,000 liability.
    • For my 2021 taxes, I paid $2,000 in taxes for the unrealized gains, which put me over my AMT. This was filled out in Form 6251 field i.
  • In 2022, I sold all 100 shares at a value of $57 as long term (was more than 1 year since exercising). This is selling at $55 greater than my original strike price, but $45 less than the price I exercised the stock at
    • Filing my 2022 taxes, my 1099 shows me that I sold 100 shares at $57, but with a cost basis of $2. This is showing that my tax liability is $5,500, and I am asked to pay $1,100
    • I already paid taxes on the unrealized gains in the previous year. When you get to the page in TurboTax, it doesn't help me walk through any steps or calculations on how to solve this - simply has two boxes for "short-term capital gain/losses adjustment" and one for "long term". How do I calculate this?
Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions
DavidD66
Expert Alumni

How to calculate capital gains/losses for exercising ISO, Paying AMT, and selling the following year

No.  You do not adjust the cost basis for your regular tax.  The cost basis for your regular tax (using your example) is $2.  You have a regular tax gain of $55 per share.  Your AMT cost basis is $102, and you have an AMT loss of $45 per share.  You asked "Is this just covered by AMT credit over time, or do I also need to do an adjustment for capital gains/losses?"  The answer is it covered by AMT credit over time.  

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

View solution in original post

3 Replies
AmyC
Expert Alumni

1. Make an adjustment. Your exercise price is going to be your cost basis since the sale is a qualifying disposition on your long term stock.

2.The adjustment for the cost basis needs to be made to both the stock and the AMT.

Here is more reading to truly explain and help you.

So I need to adjust the cost basis on my AMT AND my regular tax capital gain to be the purchase price?

In that example, the new cost basis will be $102, leaving my capital gains to be -$55/share (or -$4,500 total), and this is reflected on both my AMT and my regular taxes, or only used for my AMT calculation?

DavidD66
Expert Alumni

No.  You do not adjust the cost basis for your regular tax.  The cost basis for your regular tax (using your example) is $2.  You have a regular tax gain of $55 per share.  Your AMT cost basis is $102, and you have an AMT loss of $45 per share.  You asked "Is this just covered by AMT credit over time, or do I also need to do an adjustment for capital gains/losses?"  The answer is it covered by AMT credit over time.  

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies