Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

How do I report this joint-owner property?

So there are 3 joint owners on the deed and mortgage a property. Two of us don't live in the property. One does.

The reason for this arrangement was to assist the resident-owner in the purchase of the property due to credit and income limitations.

I had already planned on claiming the mortgage interest and tax deductions when itemizing as the other two joint owners don't benefit from itemizing and will take the standard deduction. 

My question is: does this count as a rental property for me as I pay the mortgage, taxes, and insurance? The resident-owner pays me monthly in cash. In any other circumstance, I believe it would classify as a rental property but I am not sure here as the person living in it is a joint owner. 

Or, do I just deduct the mortgage interest and property taxes as a secondary home, even though I don't live in it? 

Or, do I not include the property at all on my taxes? 

I'd appreciate any help in figuring out this tricky tax situation. Thank you!

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

2 Replies
Carl
Level 15

The reason for this arrangement was to assist the resident-owner in the purchase of the property due to credit and income limitations

So the above statement conforms beyond any doubt what-so-ever that there never was, is not now and never will be an "intent to make a profit."

My question is: does this count as a rental property for me as I pay the mortgage, taxes, and insurance? The resident-owner pays me monthly in cash. In any other circumstance, I believe it would classify as a rental property but I am not sure here as the person living in it is a joint owner.

This is not a rental property by any stretch of the imagination. Everything you pay concerning this property is a SCH A deduction. Two criteria *must* be met (and you have to prove it if audited) in order for you to claim mortgage insurance and property taxes.

- You must be legally obligated to pay it. (you are since your name is on the deed and the mortgage, and you can prove that if needed)

- You must *actually* have paid it. You should be able to prove this with cancelled checks or bank records showing the transfer of money from your account, to the lender.

as the other two joint owners don't benefit from itemizing and will take the standard deduction.

Doesn't matter if they benefit or not. If *YOU* did not pay the mortgage interest and property taxes, then you can't claim it. If you paid part of it, you can only claim that part you actually paid.

The resident-owner pays me monthly in cash.

Then the resident owner is "giving" you a gift. Doesn't change the fact that you still have a legal obligation here. So long as the total amount they give you does not exceed $15,000 in any one tax year, nothing has to be reported.

If the amount you are given exceeds $15K in any one tax year, then the giver (not the recipient) of the gift is required by law to file IRS Form 709-Gift Tax Return. The recipient of the gift doesn't have to report jack squat to anybody.

Understand that if the giver does have to file the form 709, they will ***NOT*** pay any taxes to any taxing authority on the money they gave you. It's just a reporting requirement established by federal law that the giver (not the recipient) has to adhere to.

JamesG1
Expert Alumni

It sounds like you qualify to deduct the mortgage interest and real estate taxes.  I understand that:

• You are a borrower,
  • You are legally obligated to pay the debt, and
  • You actually make the payments.

I would not report this transaction as rental income since the resident of the property is also an owner.

I recommend that you deduct the mortgage interest and real estate taxes on Federal 1040 Schedule A.

Other information can be found here.

[Edited 03/26/20 9:21 AM]

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies