dhuey00

How do I report the correct 1099-Misc farm rental income when the 1099 Box 1 amount is mistakenly reported as twice the correct amount?

Cattlerancher

When you receive a 1099-MISC with an amount in box 1 as a rental payment, you report this income on schedule E (in Rental Properties and Royalties). There are a couple of places to enter it and sometimes people accidently enter it twice. You need to find out where it is entered and remove the wrong entry or delete the form. I generally don't like to delete a form because sometimes there is more than one source of income reported on the same form. I'm guessing you may have entered it in Rental Property and Royalties, (which is correct) and Farm Rental (form 4835) which is incorrect. If that is the case, you can delete form 4835 while in the forms mode if you have no other income on that form. It is used only when you receive "share crop" rental income from a farm. That means you receive a percentage of the crop raised on the farm as rental income.

Please see page snips below;