turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

oripa3485

How do I handle a home that started as primary residence in 2007, was converted to rental in 2011, then had work done it in 2016, then sold in 2017?

Are fees or costs paid by us as the sellers when we sold the property countable re: basis too?
Coleen3
Intuit Alumni

How do I handle a home that started as primary residence in 2007, was converted to rental in 2011, then had work done it in 2016, then sold in 2017?

Yes.
Sales expenses include:
 - commissions
 - appraisal fees
 - broker's fees
 - legal fees
 - advertising fees
 - home inspection reports
 - title insurance
 - transfer taxes or fees
 - geological surveys
 - loan charges (points) or other fees paid on the buyer's behalf

Sales expenses do not include:
 - mortgage payoffs
 - home equity loan payoffs
 - rent-back costs
 - payoff to creditors
 - property taxes
 - home owner association fees
oripa3485

Thank you for your help.  Just so I understand, everything from the purchase/improvements/sale expenses gets used to calculate the adjusted basis, and then I'm using the sale price and the lower of either the 1) FMV at time of conversion to a rental or 2) adjusted basis to determine what gain or loss I declare?  

I guess what I'm getting at is that there's no where else that I get credit for the improvements/sale expenses?
Coleen3
Intuit Alumni

Improvements and sales expenses are added to the basis. You have to figure it both ways. See the calculation of gain and loss above. Sometimes, it ends up in a gray zone with neither a loss nor a gain.
oripa3485

TurboTax has me entering this info on Form 4797.  Does that sounds right?  One of the other sections seemed like it wanted me to try Schedule C instead, but it didn't seem to fit (was asking about things like cash accounting vs. accrual, a 2% threshold on the property's unadjusted basis, etc.).
Coleen3
Intuit Alumni

Form 4797. You do not have a business. You are selling rental property.
oripa3485

Okay, thanks.  The way some of the TurboTax questions were worded, I wasn't sure.

Final question (I hope!) -- it appears that the sale ultimately amounts to a reduction of my income, not taking a deduction, so I wouldn't necessarily have to itemize deductions?
Coleen3
Intuit Alumni

You never have to take them. If they benefit you, it is an option.
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies