Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

How do I file for brokerage loss listed on Form 1099-B?

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions

You will simply enter the transactions under investment income.  Turbotax will automatically calculate the loss based on the information provided on the Form 1099-B and will allow you to offset any capital gains or take a capital loss up to the limits and carryover the rest.

To enter these transactions, make sure you are logged into your account and click Take Me to My Return first.  You can then search for "1099B" in the search box in the upper right-hand corner (look for the magnifying glass).  Click the "jump to 1099B link" and this will take you directly to the area of the program where you will enter investment (stock) sales.  

You can also find this area of the program using the step by step method -
  • Hit Take Me My Return
  • Click Federal Taxes
  • Select Wages and Income
  • You may need to click "Check for More" or "Show More" to get the full list of income topics
  • Scroll down and select Investment Income
  • Click edit next to Stocks, Mutual Funds, Bonds and Others
  • Proceed through the following prompts to enter your investment sales

Note:  It shows you are currently using TurboTax Deluxe Online, you will need to upgrade to at least TurboTax Premier Online version to enter investment transactions.

View solution in original post

2 Replies

You will simply enter the transactions under investment income.  Turbotax will automatically calculate the loss based on the information provided on the Form 1099-B and will allow you to offset any capital gains or take a capital loss up to the limits and carryover the rest.

To enter these transactions, make sure you are logged into your account and click Take Me to My Return first.  You can then search for "1099B" in the search box in the upper right-hand corner (look for the magnifying glass).  Click the "jump to 1099B link" and this will take you directly to the area of the program where you will enter investment (stock) sales.  

You can also find this area of the program using the step by step method -
  • Hit Take Me My Return
  • Click Federal Taxes
  • Select Wages and Income
  • You may need to click "Check for More" or "Show More" to get the full list of income topics
  • Scroll down and select Investment Income
  • Click edit next to Stocks, Mutual Funds, Bonds and Others
  • Proceed through the following prompts to enter your investment sales

Note:  It shows you are currently using TurboTax Deluxe Online, you will need to upgrade to at least TurboTax Premier Online version to enter investment transactions.

dtaylor1
Returning Member

How do I fill out the 1099-B for stock sales and purchases?

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies