Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Snow-Ape

How do I enter cost basis for 1099B? No box for 1e is available and the increased 1d box proceeds are inflating my liability

I vested 18 shares in 2020 tax year, these were correctly reported as income on my W2.  When I import the Morgan Stanley 1099B, no box is present for Costs Basis (1e).  As a result, the vested stocks (which I did not sell) are being reported as income inflating my liability. I checked "my form has info in other boxes" but no 1e box pops up
Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Reply
DianeW777
Expert Alumni

How do I enter cost basis for 1099B? No box for 1e is available and the increased 1d box proceeds are inflating my liability

It depends. Did the company use some of your stock to sell to cover your taxes (federal withholding, state withholding, social security and medicare taxes)?  If so then you do have a reportable sale.  The portion of income that belongs to the shares that were withheld and sold in this type of scenario would also be your cost basis.

Review your pay stubs and all documentation received from your company about your vested stocks. You don't want to pay tax on any gain when you have a cost basis to use against it.

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies