Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Holding Company LLC with subsidiary LLC

I have a Texas Holding Company LLC (partnership) that solely owns an Alabama subsidiary LLC which owns rental properties in Alabama.  My understanding is that all income/expenses flow up to the Holding Company LLC.  When Turbo Tax Business asks me which state(s) the Holding Company does business in, do I only specify Texas, Alabama or both?

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions
RobertB4444
Expert Alumni

If you are doing one tax return to cover the Texas holding company as well as the subsidiary then you need to include all of the states that you and the subsidiary do business in.  In your case that includes Alabama.

@Navtex 

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

View solution in original post

4 Replies
RobertB4444
Expert Alumni

If you are doing one tax return to cover the Texas holding company as well as the subsidiary then you need to include all of the states that you and the subsidiary do business in.  In your case that includes Alabama.

@Navtex 

Thank you!

@RobertB4444

Let me preface this question by admitting that this is the first year I've owned this type of business structure and the first time filing a business return.  It's definitely not for the faint of heart. :(
My Texas holding company is a partnership with my wife and I.  As I mentioned before, the subsidiary Alabama LLC is a single member LLC with the Texas Holding LLC owning 100%.  Turbo Tax Business is now wanting to file an Alabama Partnership return, which is in line with what you said.  In the Federal Return I reference all income and expenses as belonging to the Holding Company LLC, correct?  Do I need to continue to reference the Texas Holding LLC in the Alabama Partnership return?  It's a tad confusing.

RobertB4444
Expert Alumni

The subsidiary LLC in Alabama needs to meet all of it's state filing requirements regardless of who owns it.  The same is true of the Texas parent company.  

So you will file an Alabama partnership return detailing the activities that occur in Alabama.  That should end your obligations to Alabama.

Your Texas franchise tax return has a space to put in the total income earned in Texas and the total income earned outside of Texas.  Keeps you from being double taxed in Texas and Alabama.

@Navtex 

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies