Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Hi, Can personal loan interest exp. be deducted if used for investment purposes to purchase shares of a distribution paying, publicly traded Master Limited Partnership?

The loan was granted for investment/working capital purposes originally and I checked TurboTax's FAQ's section, which says using a personal loan used to acquire income/dividend producing investments would mean that in that instance the interest expense can be deducted from your taxes. I'm asking here, as I know MLP's issue a K-1 and I'm not sure if this is classified as a dividend distribution. Any help would be incredibly appreciated. Thanks, W
Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Reply

Hi, Can personal loan interest exp. be deducted if used for investment purposes to purchase shares of a distribution paying, publicly traded Master Limited Partnership?

there are what is referred to as tracing rules.    so for the interest to be investment interest the proceeds of the loan would have to be traced to being deposited into your investment a/c.  doesn't matter what type of investment is purchased.     

from the MLP you will get a k-1 that will need to be entered into the 1065  k-1 section of your return. you will not be able to file until you get the k-1 and don't expect it by the end of January.  many are not released until close to 3/15 and others are not released until close to 9/15.  distributions are not taxable unless they exceed the basis in the partnership. this you will have to track because Turbotax doesn't.  when you eventually sell the broker will report your basis as the original purchase price.  this will almost certainly be wrong. the partnership will send you a supplemental schedule which you'll need to use to compute your correct basis, any ordinary income from the disposition, and any capital gain or loss. yes, many MLP report ordinary income upon their sale - Because the cash distributions are due to depreciation and other deductions that the MLP takes, those deductions are recaptured upon the sale of the units and are taxed as ordinary income

also, be aware there may be multiple state k-1's or a supplemental schedule for the states. even though you don't reside in those states you may have a filing requirement if the income reported for a state exceeds the filing threshold.

more info at these links

https://www.investopedia.com/articles/personal-finance/062515/mlps-how-they-are-taxed.asp#:~:text=Th... 

and

https://www.sec.gov/oiea/investor-alerts-bulletins/ib_mlpintro.html 

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies