Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Help determining date rental is considered placed in service

I am trying to determine the date to use for when our rental was first placed in service. I first advertised the house for rent on April 04.15.22 by taking a flyer about our rental to the city managers office in the small town we live in. There is an extreme shortage of houses to rent here. and I read in the newspaper that several candidate for a new police chief position had dropped out because of this. We were in the process of completing a new home to rent out. Nothing happened because of the flyer. Due to health issues from a car accident we did not have the final inspections completed until July 13th. The date of "Residential Certificate of Occupancy" is dated effective 08.21.22.  We have a signed rental contract dated 07.15.22. I would appreciate any help in determining the right date to use for when the house was first placed in service.

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

2 Best answer

Accepted Solutions

It is generally the date you make the property available for rental use.

View solution in original post

@cottagecharm11 wrote:

So the fact that I did not have a Certificate of Occupancy until August 2, 2022 is irrelevant? 

Generally, you need to comply with, and have, all required licenses and permits per Rev. Rul, 76-428 and Rev. Rul. 76-256. 

See https://www.irs.gov/pub/irs-aod/aod-2017-02.pdf

View solution in original post

10 Replies

It is generally the date you make the property available for rental use.

I am still a bit confused, would that be the date I took the flyer to city hall offering to rent it?  

Thanks for your help!

Carl
Level 15

Typically, it's the date you put the FOR RENT sign in the front yard, which is usually the day a renter "could" have moved in.

@Carl wrote:

Typically, it's the date you put the FOR RENT sign in the front yard, which is usually the day a renter "could" have moved in.

In many communities, signs in the front yard are limited or outright prohibited. I also have no idea how a sign would receive any visibility in something like a gated community. 

Whether the property is available for rent is primarily when the owner is ready and willing to accept a tenant. 

@cottagecharm11 wrote:

....would that be the date I took the flyer to city hall offering to rent it?  

Personally, I would go by that date.

So the fact that I did not have a Certificate of Occupancy until August 2, 2022 is irrelevant? 

@cottagecharm11 wrote:

Generally, you need to comply with, and have, all required licenses and permits per Rev. Rul, 76-428 and Rev. Rul. 76-256. 

See https://www.irs.gov/pub/irs-aod/aod-2017-02.pdf

Carl
Level 15

In many communities, signs in the front yard are limited or outright prohibited.

That's why I say "typically". It's just an indicator of the day you start advertising or otherwise seeking out a perspective tenant.

In my area for my three rentals, I don't bother with paying to advertise. I stick a "for rent" sign in the front yard (usually on a Friday) and I'll start getting phone calls the same day. Now I'm rather picky on who I will rent to also. I perform a credit check and a background check. On average, I'll go through 10 applicants before I find one that meshes.  Here's the way it tends to go among 10 applicants.

When I inform them I'll be doing a background check with law enforcement in the locale where they currently live, 4 of them will decline.

Next, I inform them I'll be pulling a credit report. Four more will decline, leaving me with two applicants.

When I do the background and credit pull on both of them, one will have outright lied to me either about their credit, or their past with law enforcement.  That leaves one left and they will generally get the property.

Now I've had situations where they've got a record or their credit doesn't check out. "BUT", they were completely honest with me about it up front. In this specific situation a few years ago, the conversation went something like this:

ME: So before I pull credit and background, is there anything I could potentially view as negative that you would like to explain up front?

Applicant: Well, my credit is ruined because of my divorce, as the ex maxed all the credit cards, and neighbors called the cops a time or two when we were getting rather loud with our disagreements prior to separation.

ME: Okay. What are you doing about it if anything, on the legal front?

Applicant: I've hired a lawyer to work out and hopefully help clean up the credit, and also have legal counsel for the divorce.

ME: What lawyer did you hire? Can I have your permission to call them and just confirm that you are an active client?

Applicant: Sure. Here's his business card.

So I'll do the background and sure enough, there's two "domestic disturbance" calls to the local cops. No arrests, and no charges.  Credit report shows they're basically "in the tank" but all cards with both names on the account are either frozen or cancelled.

Finally, a quick call to the lawyer. I explain who I am and why I'm calling. Legally, the only question I can ask and the only question the lawyer can answer is, "Is <applicant> an active client of yours?" The lawyer answers yes, and I'm done.

In this case, I ended up renting to this applicant, as they were honest and up front with me. Turned out to be a damn good tenant for the 3 years they lived there.

That is great screening advice for anyone who owns rentals and is similar to our methods. If it is one of our rentals in town we always put a sign in the yard and leave flyers with the sign. We also tape a flyer on the inside of the window by the front door. On the flyers we include a statement that the potential tenants must pass a background check and a credit report screening. This helps to eliminate some of the non-qualified lookers. We also post an ad on Facebook because that is the go to place in our small town for rentals, for both looking and offering to rent. There is such an extreme housing shortage where we are that we found our tenants for the newly built house before we had to bother with any of that, in desperation they had posted on Facebook ISO a rental.

Thanks for your help!

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies