Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

I have a rental property with a loss for 2018 which I need to carry over to 2019.I am doing quitclaim to put it on LLC.Can I apply my 2018 personal losses to LLC in 2019?

Basically, is it possible to carry over my personal losses for this property and apply it in 2019 when this property will be on an LLC? The losses were very high, so I need to apply these loses in 2019. 
Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

4 Replies
DDollar
Expert Alumni

I have a rental property with a loss for 2018 which I need to carry over to 2019.I am doing quitclaim to put it on LLC.Can I apply my 2018 personal losses to LLC in 2019?

Is your LLC a single member LLC?

Hey, no, it is a partnership with another member. 50% me, 50% him
DDollar
Expert Alumni

No, the suspended losses do not transfer with the property.  According to the AICPA publication "The Tax Advisor"

Property contributed to a partnership may have related losses that were not deductible by the contributing partner because of statutory limitations. The losses could have been suspended because of the application of the at-risk rules or the passive activity rules. Any losses suspended by these provisions prior to the contribution of the related property/activity remain with the contributing partner and are not transferred to the partnership but are added to the transferor’s basis in the partnership interest (Prop. Regs. Sec. 1.465-67(b); Sec. 469(g)).

For more information on how to establish your basis in the LLC, see the following article:

Hello,

Still little confused. Can I ask one question. For 2019 taxes, can I show the carry over loss for this property on my personal - just put expense amount on property? (because it's a carry over from when it wasn't on LLC in 2018).

And for the LLC show the profit/loss for 2019 activity?

Basically, carry over in my personal for 2018 old stuff, and LLC will just have 2019 activity. So this property will be inputted in 2 places (personal for carry over & LCC for 2019 related things).
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies