turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

fully depreciated rental property

If a rental property is already fully depreciated, and I then have a capital improvement, can this be reported as  the start of a new cost basis ?

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

3 Replies
MinhT1
Expert Alumni

Yes, you can enter the capital improvement as a new asset and depreciate it over 27.5 years.

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

Thank you for the fast response ! Can I also ask how best to field the TT dialogue in reporting asset depreciation, to indicate a rental property which was rented out until 2008; and thereafter not in service (ie not advertised as available and no income reported) and converted for occasional personal use, until January 2023 when it was once more placed in service as a rental property?

JamesG1
Expert Alumni

In TurboTax Online, you are recording the capital improvement, payment recently made, as a depreciable asset.  

Record the capital improvement as follows:

• At the screen Describe the asset, select Rental Real Estate Property.  Continue.
  • At the screen Tell us a little more about your rental asset, select Residential Rental Real Estate unless the capital improvement would qualify as Land improvements.  
  • At the screen Tell us about this rental asset, enter description, cost and date of the capital improvement.
  • At the screen Tell us more about this rental asset, select I purchased this asset because you made a recent cash outlay for the capital improvement.
  • Have you used this item 100% for this business since you acquired it?  This question refers to the new capital improvement.  Select Yes, I've always used this item 100% for the time for this business.  Enter January 1, 2023 as the date.
  • At the screen Asset Summary, the capital improvement should report 27.5 years to depreciate.  A Land improvement would qualify for 15 years.

@midas 

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies