Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

cbs999

Form 1116 with multiple countries solution

Just filed our taxes. Had a number of 1099's with foreign source income from RIC and different countries. Finally figured out that the easiest way was to use forms. 

Filled out the first 1099 div worksheet using all the information from the first 1099div except for box 7 and 8. I only used the information for the RIC (our largest source of foreign income and tax) in box 7 and 8. Linked to Copy 1 and checked box A. Filled out another 1099 div worksheet for the same payer with the first country (put the country name in () so I could keep track). Filled in Box 1a with the foreign source income for this country and used the foreign source income and tax for box 7 and 8. Linked to Copy 1 and checked box B. Did the same for all the other countries. Ended up with 7 copies of the form 1116.

When I finished I went back to my original worksheet and subtracted all the foreign source amounts from Box 1a. I used supporting details so I could double check and make sure I was reporting the correct dividend income for the 1099 div.

I had another 1099 div with foreign source income and tax paid. I matched the 1116 copy and box to the same ones from my first 1099 so I only had one column on the 1116 for each country, regardless of how many 1099s.

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies