Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Foreign Tax Paid

I have 2 investing accounts that each have amounts listed in 1099DIV, box 7. When I run the TT review it won't accept the values. It says the values are "Not between the prescribed upper and lower limits." I have no idea what this means or what I need to do. Can anyone help me?

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

4 Replies
MonikaK1
Expert Alumni

Foreign Tax Paid

Review your entries for Forms 1099-DIV. This message may appear if there is a negative number entered.

If you enter Foreign Tax paid on a 1099-DIV (the amount appearing in Box 7 of your Form 1099-DIV), you then need to enter the amount of Foreign Income associated with that tax in the Foreign Tax Credit section.

Your 1099-Div statement should show the amount of Foreign Dividends you received, either as an amount or a % of total dividends.

Click this link for more info on Foreign Tax Reported on 1099-Div.

See this thread also for another discussion and solution regarding this topic area.

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
bogie49
Returning Member

Foreign Tax Paid

I have the same issue; imported 1099 from my brokerage account, and upon federal review, TT says "Check This Entry Box 7 is not between the prescribed....". Amount entered in Box 7 is -0.90 and I see 1099 has a detail for Foreign Tax paid of -0.90 on a stock.

How did you get around this?

AmyC
Expert Alumni

Foreign Tax Paid

@bogie49 Foreign tax paid would need to be a positive number. You should remove the negative number and leave box 7 blank. If you can confirm actual tax paid of a positive amount, enter that figure instead.

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

Foreign Tax Paid

I think TurboTax fetches the wrong field such that the Foreign tax paid in Box-7 becomes negative in 1099-DIV (e.g. from Apex Clearing). It is negative in the section titled "Dividends and Distributions - Details of Form 1099-DIV" but positive in Tax Reporting Statement on page 1. So I believe TurboTax should correct it soon in case of confusion.

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies