Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Foreign stock sale - no 1099-B - how to upload documents?

After I manually filled out my foreign stock sale as though i had 1099-B, the next step shows that uploading documentation of the sales summary is required by IRS. 
As the foreign securities institution and foreign regulations are not required to have an equivalent 1099-B form, I retrieved all the sales in 2023 from the report the institution provided. However, other than the sale numbers/dates, this document is in foreign language. Is this ok to upload as is? Also, am I required to upload spreadsheet/documents on how the calculations are made for the capital gain or loss?

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

3 Replies

if you entered summary totals the IRS wants details of each sale. You cannot attach an external document to an e-filed return. If you enter each sale separately, the iRS does not get further documentation unless requested. 

for summary totals entries:

If you’re considering using a substitute 1099-B in a foreign language, I recommend consulting with a tax professional or directly contacting the IRS to ensure compliance with their guidelines. They can provide accurate and up-to-date information based on your specific situation

when doing your US return amounts must be translated in US currency

https://ttlc.intuit.com/community/tax-credits-deductions/discussion/how-to-report-sale-of-foreign-st... 

if you e-file the 1099-B substitute would be separately submitted using form 8453. see instructions

https://www.irs.gov/pub/irs-pdf/f8453.pdf 

Thank you so much!

the document from your financial institution is a detail report, not a summary.

The consolidated 1099 from U.S.  broker is also a detail report.

TurboTax allows aggregation of sales by Box Category (referred to as "summary").

"uploading documentation of the sales summary is required by IRS. "

THere is considerable confusion on this topic brought about by misleading help text in the TurboTax program.

Without a 1099-B your sales are listed with Box C or F marked on Form 8949

sales details are what is required by the IRS.

If you e-File the Form 8949 showing individual transactions in detail, no mailing is necessary

@chinyen28 

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies