Solved: Foreign Service Officer Home Sale

Why sign in to the Community?

• Submit a question
  • Check your notifications
or and start working on your taxes
Announcements
TurboTax has you covered during Covid. Get the latest stimulus info here.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Basteven
Level 1

Foreign Service Officer Home Sale

I purchased a home in 2015 and lived in it until 2018 when I moved overseas as a foreign service officer. I lived overseas until 2020 but then was transfered to another location in the US that is 2000 miles from my home. I would like to sell the home in the summer of 2021 but want to make sure that I can avoid paying capital gains on the profit from the home sale.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions
Bsch4477
Level 15

A taxpayer on qualified official extended duty in the U.S. Armed Services or the Foreign Service may suspend for up to 10 years of such duty time the running of the 5-year ownership-and-use period before the sale of a residence. This applies when the duty station is at least 50 miles from the residence – or while the person is residing under orders in government housing – for a period of more than 90 days or for an indefinite period. This election, which is an option for the taxpayer, applies to only one property at a time.

View solution in original post

1 Reply
Bsch4477
Level 15

A taxpayer on qualified official extended duty in the U.S. Armed Services or the Foreign Service may suspend for up to 10 years of such duty time the running of the 5-year ownership-and-use period before the sale of a residence. This applies when the duty station is at least 50 miles from the residence – or while the person is residing under orders in government housing – for a period of more than 90 days or for an indefinite period. This election, which is an option for the taxpayer, applies to only one property at a time.

View solution in original post

Dynamic AdsDynamic Ads
v
Privacy Settings