turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

For 50% ownership in a rental property, should I enter only 50% of the FMV of the property for depreciation to be calculated?

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

3 Replies
MaryK4
Expert Alumni

For 50% ownership in a rental property, should I enter only 50% of the FMV of the property for depreciation to be calculated?

Yes, you will want to enter the amount that represents your share of the income and expenses.

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

Thanks so much! Turbo Tax auto calculated 50% share of income and expenses for me as that was a specific option I could pick to have them do.

For clarification, you are saying 'yes' regardless of that....I should only enter 50% of the FMV for the depreciation calculation? Want to be sure Turbo Tax will not divide that value in half as they did with the income and expenses. Which would result in too low a depreciation number.

Thanks for the clarification!

MaryK4
Expert Alumni

If you indicated that you owned 50% and TurboTax divided the amounts, you do not have to make the adjustments- as long as the amounts reported on the Schedule E represent your share.  (I apologize for the confusion, TurboTax will divide the amounts.) @moffatconnel 

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies