Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

First time landlord; “special depreciation allowance”?

Hi,

im confused about the “special depreciation allowance” I’ve read about for rental properties acquired and placed into service for the first time in 2019 (built and am now renting a backyard ADU).  Can someone help me understand what it means?  Under what instances would it be helpful to use, or am I using it by default since my property meets that definition?  Do you use it on all your depreciation expenditures?  Thanks if you can help. 

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

2 Replies
Carl
Level 15

Basically, residential rental property is not eligible for the SEC179 depreciation deduction. That allows for depreciating 100% of the cost of an asset the first year it's placed in use.  But that's not an option with rental property.

However, some rental property assets can qualify for the "special depreciation allowance" which allows you to depreciate up to 50% of the cost of a qualified asset the first year it's placed in business. Then the remaining 50% is depreciated over the life of the asset, where "asset class life" is defined by the IRS.

Overall though, I find it a waste to take the special depreciation allowance, since rental property almost "always" operates at a loss "on paper" when you do your taxes. When you add up the allowed deductions of Mortgage Interest, property insurance, and property taxes and throw that in with the depreciation you are required to take by law, those four items alone will exceed the total amount of rental income you'll receive for the year. Add to that the other allowed rental expenses (repairs, maintenance, advertising, etc.) and your practically "guaranteed" to operate at a loss when you get to the "bottom line" of the SCH E.

Since rental income is passive, your rental expenses are passive too.  Your passive expenses can only be deducted from that passive income. Once it gets the taxable rental income to zero, that's it. Any remaining expenses are just carried foward to the next year.

Therefore, your "carry forward" losses will continue to grow and be carried forward with each passing year. You can't realize those losses against other "ordinary" income until the tax year you sell the property.

Thanks, I’m new to the messaging system here so not sure if it’s OK to ask F/U questions - but here goes!  I can’t say I completely understand what you’re saying (e.g., say your rental income is $2K/mo., it sounds like you’re saying the deductions you listed will add up to more than $24,000?).  One of my related questions is - you list out mortgage Interest, property insurance, property taxes and required depreciation.  I’m confused about 2 of these 4.  I’m already deducting mortgage interest and property taxes for the “main house”, so I don’t do anything then with those for the rental / ADU, right?  (Same mortgage, same property...). So then we’re looking at insurance and depreciation which will be new deductions.  I can’t imagine those add up to $24K?  But I think the gist of what you’re saying it’s it’s better not to accelerate anything using this bonus method.  Thanks again. 

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies