Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Final K-1, Foreclosure Sale and Treatment of Disposition of Partnership Interest

I have a K-1 for an LLC where the property had been chronically underperforming for years.  I was told prior to disposition that "the lender indicated that they would be pursuing foreclosure and placing the property into receivership. Since then, they have put a receiver in place and listed the asset for sale." The property has since been sold, with the sponsor reporting that "the foreclosure sale of the property has occurred. The property was sold for $4.56M, well below the loan amount of $6.3M, leaving no equity to be recaptured." The K-1 is marked final.  There are figures included in boxes 9a and 10.  In connection with disposition of partnership interest, TurboTax is indicating that I need to provide information regarding property disposition, specifically the sales price and basis.  The sales price is obvious, other than if I put in the entire amount or my ratable share.  Is the basis figure the outstanding loan amount?  If not, then what do I use?  Anything less than the sales amount will trigger tax liability.  Or maybe I made an input error generating this request for information?

x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions

Final K-1, Foreclosure Sale and Treatment of Disposition of Partnership Interest

A number of comments:

• As a partner in a partnership, you should have been maintaining your tax basis in the investment.
  • You don't mention prior year(s) activity; have you incurred suspended passive activity losses?
  • In answering your specific question, "no" your basis is not tied to any loan.  This is completely separate as the loan is related to the entity level activity.
  • If you determine your tax basis, you will need to adjust it for the current year activity on the K-1 (excluding and distributions).  This figure needs to be entered into TT as your "cost basis" as this will be requested through the interview input process.
  • Your distribution is your sales price.
  • If you have not maintained your tax basis, you may be able to use what is reflected on the K-1 section L.  However, if you do use this, you need to adjust this figure for any distributions reflected in this section.
    • So by way of a simple example, the ending capital (this is technically tax capital) may reflect zero.
    • Add back any distributions
    • Adjust for any "book adjustments" that may be reflected on the other increase / decrease line.
    • This figure then may approximate your tax basis.
  • Partnership tax gets complicated very quickly and it may be in your best interest to meet with a tax professional to help you arrive at your tax basis.
*A reminder that posts in a forum such as this do not constitute tax advice.
Also keep in mind the date of replies, as tax law changes.

View solution in original post

2 Replies

Please check back later. I will page Champ @Rick19744.

A number of comments:

• As a partner in a partnership, you should have been maintaining your tax basis in the investment.
  • You don't mention prior year(s) activity; have you incurred suspended passive activity losses?
  • In answering your specific question, "no" your basis is not tied to any loan.  This is completely separate as the loan is related to the entity level activity.
  • If you determine your tax basis, you will need to adjust it for the current year activity on the K-1 (excluding and distributions).  This figure needs to be entered into TT as your "cost basis" as this will be requested through the interview input process.
  • Your distribution is your sales price.
  • If you have not maintained your tax basis, you may be able to use what is reflected on the K-1 section L.  However, if you do use this, you need to adjust this figure for any distributions reflected in this section.
    • So by way of a simple example, the ending capital (this is technically tax capital) may reflect zero.
    • Add back any distributions
    • Adjust for any "book adjustments" that may be reflected on the other increase / decrease line.
    • This figure then may approximate your tax basis.
  • Partnership tax gets complicated very quickly and it may be in your best interest to meet with a tax professional to help you arrive at your tax basis.
*A reminder that posts in a forum such as this do not constitute tax advice.
Also keep in mind the date of replies, as tax law changes.
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies