Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Excess rental expenses

last year I could not take all the expenses on my rental property because they exceeded my income.

Can I take the remaining expenses this year?

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Reply
Carl
Level 15

Excess rental expenses

When it comes to long term residential rental property, it is not common to show a profit on that income. In fact, it's more common to show a loss each and every year the rental property is in service. When you add up the deductible expenses of Mortgage interest, property taxes, property insurance and the depreciation you're required to take, those four items alone are usually enough to exceed your total rental income for the year. Add to that other allowed rental deductions such as maintenance and repair costs, and you're practically guaranteed to show a loss every single year.
Typically, once your rental expenses gets your taxable rental income to zero, that's it. Any remaining losses are just carried over to the next year where they are deducted "IF" you have the rental income to deduct them from - which is not common. Therefore, it's more common for your carry over losses, sometimes referred to as suspended losses, to increase with each passing year. You will not be able to use and realize those losses until the tax year you sell the property. Then your suspended losses are "released" and can be deducted from any other ordinary income.

There is an exception that depending on your AGI, you may be able to deduct up to a maximum of $25K from other ordinary income each year. So it's perfectly possible to actually have any carry over losses.
The program (not you) generally takes care of all this stuff for you. But there are times when you may have to manually enter your carry over losses from the previous year. If that's necessary, the program will ask you to enter them. If you have any suspended losses that need to be manually entered in the 2023 return, you'll find the amount in the prior year's return on IRS Form 8582. If that form isn't present, then you don't have any carry over losses from the prior year.

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies