Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

ipm003

ESPP Sale reporting and W2

I sold some employee stock I purchased thru ESPP in 2023. I entered the information from 1099-B, which is one liner and just lacking information. I entered multiple 3922s for the time period in which those sales were acquired. 

However, TurboTax is asking me if the amount is reported on my W2. The amount TurboTax is showing and asking, is almost 7 times more than the amount my company is showing as adjusted ESPP on my W2. Is it possible that the miscalculation is because this sales also grabbed stocks that were acquired thru dividend distribution, or is it something else?

I asked my employer and they said amount is reported and they verified it, and again it is not matching what TurboTax is calculating so I am hesitant to say yes it was reported since the amount discrepancy is so large (TurboTax is calculating approx $1400 while my W2 has $200). 

What do I do?

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Reply
KrisD15
Expert Alumni

ESPP Sale reporting and W2

Normally the "Spread" (the amount of the discount) is reported on your W-2 in the year you sell the stock. That should be included in Box 1 on your W-2. 

Your Capital Gain form the sale would be the gain from the price you paid less the price you sold for. 

So if the stock was Fair Market Value of 100 and you were given a 15% discount, in the year you sell the stock, you would have 15.00 included in box1. If you sell at 110, you would have a 10.00 Capital Gain.

Your discount and the Fair Market Value when purchased should be reported on your Form 3922. 

The sale should not be on your W-2, that should be on your 1099-B. 

Are you sure the discount was not 200 and the gain 1,400? 

To clarify, are you also a Shareholder and received stock as a dividend? Did you later sell that stock? Was the sale of the dividend stock also on the 1099-B? The dividend stock should be a separate issue unless it was an employee stock award. 

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies