Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Entering EE and I bond interest for the first time (prior to

I moved overseas in 2021 and will have all of my wages exempted from US tax in 2022 using the foreign tax exemption (no US salary).  My only taxable income will be minuscule bank interest and some small dividends.  I also have some Series I bonds (first acquired in 2021) and some Series EE bonds that go back over 15  years (but have not matured).  I have never reported the interest accrued  on these bonds thinking I would report when redeemed.                                                                  However, now that I have virtually no income, wouldn't this be the best time to report all of the interest on all of these bonds earned to date --especially if the total with my other interest/dividends would still be under the standard deduction?  If I understand IRS Pub 550 correctly, I could do this in my 2022 return (without amending old returns)?   I also would have to keep doing it each year going forward until redeemed and then save my records to show the interest had been reported and does not need to be reported at redemption (despite what 1099 -INT states).  It sounds like no extra form is needed to do this -- but if I changed my mind later and wanted to go back to not reporting the interest, then I would have to file a form 3155.   Just wondering if this is correct, and if so, how do I report all the back interest in turbotax (does each year of interest need to be reported or just the cumulative amount)?

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Reply
ThomasM125
Expert Alumni

Entering EE and I bond interest for the first time (prior to

You are correct, you can report the interest to date on your current year tax return. After that, you need to continue reporting it each year going forward. You woud report all of the interest earned up to the last date of the current tax year in TurboTax as follows:

1. Choose the Federal option on your left menu bar
  2. Choose Wages & Income
  3. Find Investments and Savings (1099-B, 1099-INT, 1099-DIV, 1099-K, Crypto) in the list of income items
  4. Choose Interest on 1099-INT
  5. Enter the interest in box 3 Savings bonds and treasury int

You can learn more from this article:  Interest on US Savings Bonds

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies