Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

ending depreciation on a rental home.

Hi,

I once had an accountant who initiated claiming depreciation on my rental home.  Last year, and this year, I have prepared my own taxes.  I didn't (don't ) know how to figure the proper amount, so I put in a figure from the last time he prepared my taxes.  Is there anyway to forgo depreciation altogether?  I don't need it to save on taxes. I'm on social security with little income.  I'm afraid the depreciation is about to exceed to profit on a future sale of my home.

If I can't discontinue entering depreciation, how can I figure it out for myself so that I put the proper number in? I've had a stroke, so please include baby steps where possible.

Thank you,

Susan

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Reply
PaulaM
Expert Alumni

ending depreciation on a rental home.

No, you should not forgo depreciation. Later, when you decide to sell the depreciation that was or should have been taken will be recaptured. In other words, the IRS will regard the sale with depreciation taken whether or not you actually did so. 

Losses on rental properties are common and are carried forward to future years that you have a profit, and any remaining balances come into play when you sell.

You don't have to figure out the depreciation because TurboTax will do that for you. After you have entered all the property details in the Rentals/Royalty section and indicated what type of rental your property, you'll come to the Rental Summary page.

In this section, you'll enter your income, expenses and add assets for depreciation. You will select Rental Real Estate Property as type, then answer questions about its cost, land cost, date purchased and continue to enter the date you first started using the property in business. 

TurboTax will then calculate all the depreciation that should have been taken in prior years. You either accept or correct the amount based on your records then continue. Next screen you will see the calculation and if you mark the box, a detailed description of the asset and your recovery period.

Look for Form 4562 Depreciation and Amortization Report when you print your documents and keep that for future reference. Print ALL worksheets and not just the Federal/State tax returns to retain all worksheets in a pdf file.

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies