Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Ebay 1099-K Personal Items

Hello,

I have a question about reporting my 1099-k from ebay in turbotax. The only selling I did on ebay that I did was personal items from around the house. After fees, shipping, etc. I probably broke even on the year or had a small loss.

Does this have to be reported in Turbotax? And how can it be entered so that the whole amount on the 1099-k shows up as income on my tax return?

This is from clicking "learn more" on the 1099 K section in turbbotax:

"Form 1099-K is used by the IRS to track payments that you received from credit cards, debit cards, or electronic payment services (Square, PayPal, ePay, etc.).

For 2023 the IRS does not require you to report these payments separately. TurboTax will not give you a separate field for the amounts reported on your 1099-K(s), so be sure that you visit the other income topics to report any income that you received via credit cards, debit cards, or electronic payments in 2023."

It says that the IRS does not require us to report these payments so can I just no add this 1099-k into turbotax?

What a pain this is, it makes me never want to sell on ebay again.

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

3 Replies

What I ended up doing was entering the 1099-k in turbotax, and selecting  "personal item sales" as the source of the income. Then when filling out the 1099-k information, I checked the box for "this amount in box 1a is too high or includes some personal transactions.  Then for the amount that shouldn't be included, I entered the entire amount of box 1a.

DianeW777
Expert Alumni

Yes, you are correct. If you had a loss as indicated on the sales of your personal items then you have completed it correctly.  Losses on the sale of personal use items are not allowed to offset other taxable income and for this reason you are not required to report the income.  

If you have any gains then it would be reported under investment sales.  Be sure to keep your records to show the income is not required to be reported should you need then later.

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

Thank you.

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies