Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Does Tubro Tax correctly calculate tax from Schedule K-1 with more than one income type in box 1,2 and 3?

I have a Schedule K-1 from an energy company with a large loss in box 1 and a less than $20K gain in box 3.  I entered these as separate K-1 forms in Turbo Tax.  Although the overall outcome for the business is a large loss, recording these separately makes me pay tax on the gain in box 3.  As a result I think I am paying about $5K in taxes more than I should because I don't actually have a gain.

Am I mistaken that the gain in box 3 should be offset by the larger loss in box 1 resulting in an overall loss with no resulting tax payment?

Thanks!

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Reply

Does Tubro Tax correctly calculate tax from Schedule K-1 with more than one income type in box 1,2 and 3?

Unfortunately, losses in Box 1 can't be used to offset gains in Box 2 or 3.  Your box 1 loss will be suspended.  You'' get to use it on your taxes when you either sell the partnership, or have box 1 income.

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Note also, I'm not a Tax Preparer/CPA. Just a volunteer, seasoned, TurboTax user.
Use any advice accordingly!
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies