turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Does my rental income on Form 1099 - G mean the same as 1099 - K?

Does Form 1099-G mean the same thing as Form 1099-K?
Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

10 Replies
AmyC
Expert Alumni

Very different creatures. Rental income does not goes on 1099G.

The G is for gambling, state refunds and unemployment generally.

The K is a passthrough form - from a business.

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
Carl
Level 15

No, not at all. The 1099-G is not used to report rental income of any type. I suspect you got some kind of relief from the state for the loss of rental income due to COVID. What box is it reported in? Box 6 par chance?

I think G is government, the 1099G's I recieved both came from the state, 1 as unemployment and the other from the State Department of Homeland security - the latter was recieved as COVID rental assistance. I have a question out there asking about how not to get it to link to the property in place of a 1099k or misc. I don't want to be taxed twice on the amount.

Box 6 - taxable grant has the amount I recieved as the COVID rental assistance. How do I link this to the property to get the amount recieved to show as rental income? I don't want to be taxed twice on it.

DawnC
Employee Tax Expert

You don't need to link it to the property.   Delete the income you entered with the property (either as a 1099-K or MISC or?) and leave the 1099-G box 6 income in the Other Income section.   The money is taxable (ordinary income) there, but it is not subject to self-employment taxes and if you link it to the property, it will generate self-employment tax.    This way, you are only taxed ordinary income tax ONE time.    If Box 8 of the 1099-G is marked, that would indicate that the income is business income.   In that case, an adjustment to your self-employment tax would need to be made.   

Enter the 1099-G from the Other Common Income section if you have taxable grants to enter.    Use the OTHER 1099-G section.

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
Carl
Level 15

if you link it to the property, it will generate self-employment tax.

Just FYI/Reminder that SCH E income is not subject to SE tax. But a taxable grant is exactly that - a taxable grant. Doesn't matter what it was for either.  This particular situation means you'll have that much less to report on the SCH E itself, and will most likely just increase the PAL carry over loss by the amount of the grant, on the 8582.

TL;DR:

How does one, "increase the PAL carry over loss by the amount of the grant, on the 8582" in TurboTax? @Carl 

In reporting the 1099-G "income" through personal income rather than on the rental property, my deduction for the rental property loss is zero. How do I report the rental income "loss" for not having received actual rental income, instead I now have received taxable grant? (now I know understand why landlords avoid gov. subsidies for rent.) Is there screen in the step-by-step that will account for the PAL?

So if the tenant paid $5k rent themselves, and the 1099-G had $10k from the state, and I would have entered $15k in the Rental Properties and Royalties as rental income for my property. How would I enter the loss for non-payment of rent if I have to report the taxable income differently?

Rental Income: $5k

Loss: $10k (tenant didn't pay rent)

Totally different outcome for my rental now with regards to deductions, etc.

1099-G Income: $10k (shows up on my personal now and taxed differently)

TT shows I should have paid much in taxes now.

Thanks.

Carl
Level 15

How would I enter the loss for non-payment of rent

There is no such thing. You can't claim a loss, for that which you never received in the first place. You just have less rental income to report.

First, thanks for the reply. My statement was more figurative. I obviously haven't actually lost rents, it was paid by the government. In reporting it with common income rather than on the schedule e, it changes my 2021 taxes due +$2,358, when it's not being reported as rental property income.

I found another thread on this recommending an alternative approach.

https://ttlc.intuit.com/community/taxes/discussion/1099-g-taxable-grant-and-schedule-e/00/2489739

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies