Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

Do I need to prorate rental expenses and property taxes?

I was replying to the first post by DianeW777.

Carl
Level 15

This contradicts Carl's post, which instructs the user to enter the full amount of the property tax bill in the rental expense section, which TurboTax will then allocate between Schedule E and Schedule A.

When renting a part of your home, you have a choice to either let the program do the splits "for you", or you can do them manually.

If you elect to have the program do the splits "for you", it's important to understand the program does not and can not "CORRECTLY" split everything in every situation. For example, since property insurance is not deductible for the personal use portion and therefore can not be claimed anywhere on the tax return, the program can not and does not pro-rate the property insurance. You still have to do that manually. If people would read the small print on each and every screen, they would no that. But it's rare for people to do that. Therefore, I suggest folks to do the splits all manually. Typically, this manual process is only needed in the first year. After that, the only thing that "I know for a fact" they will have to split manually each and every year, is the property insurance, since it gets prorated for the SCH E only.

Sorry Carl, I've been unable to locate the small print or the option to split "for you" that you describe. TurboTax simply says "Total up all real estate taxes and enter them below", with no other buttons or details.

Just to clarify: my rental property is not a subspace of my own residence; rather, it is a single-dwelling, single-family home that was purchased midway through the year.

Just to confirm: I can safely enter the full amount of its annual property tax bill, and TurboTax will allocate that between Schedule E and Schedule A based on the "available date" I entered in the Assets section, correct?

@Wookie_Bender wrote:

Just to confirm: I can safely enter the full amount of its annual property tax bill, and TurboTax will allocate that between Schedule E and Schedule A based on the "available date" I entered in the Assets section, correct?

Doing as you described should result in your depreciation deduction being calculated properly.

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies